This guide is directed at students and describes, how you can access certain of VIA's IT-services from home by using VPN.
What is a VPN?
VPN or Virtual Private Network is the term used for a technique which is used to create connections to systems and services that normally would only be available for you when logged on to a certain network (in this case VIA Wi-Fi). The purpose of VPN is to make it possible to gain a secure access to VIA's systems and services even though, you are located outside the address of VIA or outside VIA Wi-Fi.
How to install VIAvpn on your computer
- You can download and install VIAvpn by clicking the below link: https://vpn.via.dk.
- The program will automatically find out what client and platform will be needed on the device. If it asks for your login you have to choose “05 VIA studerende” in “Group” and your VIA login.
- If the download does not start automatically you can click on AnyConnect VPN.
- Follow the installation guide to install VPN – Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
How to connect to VIAvpn
- Open VIAvpn by clicking ”Start” and selecting ”All Programs”.
- Select “Cisco – Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client” and again “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client”.
- The first time you start the program type in vpn.via.dk in the box next to ”Connect”.
- Click ”Connect”.
- Select the group ”05 VIA – Students” (The group you have chosen will also be shown the next time you log onto VIAvpn).
- Type in your VIA ID (e.g. 123456789 without @via.dk) and your password in the boxes
- Click ”OK”.
Please note! By connecting to VPN you will lose the connection to any running systems on your computer for about 1 minute. Afterwards, the connection will be re-established. When you lose the connection to the systems, different pop-up windows may be generated. These should however, just be ignored.
When a padlock is shown on the VIAvpn icon at the bottom right corner of the screen, you have been connected through VPN.
In order to exit the VPN connection, right-hand click at the AnyConnect icon at the bottom right corner of your computer and select ”VPN Disconnect”.